Where to start?

Hi all!

Currently I have Snips running in my house with one RPi 4 running the master and several Pi zero satellites. Sadly Sonos took over Snips and now I’m looking for an alternative that allows me to reuse most of my hardware.

I want to control home assistant thorugh this and this project looks promising. Was directed here from somebody in the Home Assistant community.

My question is where do I find some kind of documentation or something? Seems that this website only has this forum?

Oh and is rhasspy capable to deal with german?

Kind regards
Thomas

Here’s the documentation: https://rhasspy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

And yes we have several German speakers that are using Rhasspy.

1 Like

Cool thank you.

Will start implementing tomorrow. Just read the docs in the Github rep and like it so far :slight_smile:

Selecting Kaldi for speech to text works great for german. Runs fine on a pi4.

1 Like

Couldn’t wait and started installing already :slight_smile:

Any more recommendations for germans? (wakeword etc…)?

For text to speech picoTTS sound decent and works without problems.
Good Wakeword detection was the hardest part for me. I am using precise at the moment as it works best for custom wakewords, but that does not seem like an option for you as it does not run well on a pizero(if at all :question: ).
Snowboy with the wakeword snowboy is usable for german from my experience if you set the sensitivity relatively high.
Wakeword Choice for German

1 Like

I am also using Kaldi and PicoTTS (it’s OK, but compared to Google or Amazon it is still really bad :frowning: ).

Wake word is an issue. I am currently using porcupine with one of the universal models. Problem: I don’t really like the wake word choices. All feel weird to say for native german speaker and not easy to pronounce without some German accent. I am currently using “pico voice” as wake word. It recognizes me most of the time and very few false activates.

@moqart
I am thinking about making my only custom wake word with precise. How did you do it (source of the training data?)

1 Like

Is it possible to use rhasspy with Amazon Pollylike it was with Snips?

Have you tried MaryTTS? I don’t know the quality of the German voices, but I’m using the voice dfki-prudence-hsmm for English and it’s really enjoyable.

1 Like

@DanielW If you want more information on training a custom wakeword model with mycroft precise take a look at this Mycroft Precise Model .
I followed the instructions from mycroft for training your own wakeword model.

What kind of hardware are you running your system on?
How fast does Mary TTS work on a pi4 ?

I wrote down some of my experiences about training a custom wake word here in this post Mycroft Precise Model Problem (computer-en.pb) especially with training a noise resistent model.

This is on a Raspberry Pi 4. I haven’t benchmarked it, but it’s fast enough for me.

I just tried the three German voices but there is no huge difference in quality compared to PicoTTS for me. But it uses more RAM and CPU. (it is OK on a Pi 4. But longer texts will slow down Rhasspy)

Got it up and running. Will first create functionality and try around with different voices later :slight_smile:

Have a look at this:

https://rhasspy.github.io/rhasspy-voltron/tutorials.html#shared-mqtt-broker

It explains, how to setup master/satellite with Rhasspy as you are used to with snips.

Of course, no problem, really works well

1 Like

What mics are you using? Respeaker or Matrix or …?

If Respeaker or Matrix have a look at HLC LED Control in this forum. Just to light up your LEDs, triggered by event

I use the PSeye cam on the big Raspi which is working great. Later I want to try my zeros with a two mic platine attached (may check for the name later) which was working great with snips before. I think those satellites have an LED I might start.

I found the respeakers just to expensive when creating multiple devices. Mist are even placed where they are invisible :slight_smile:

I think my other mics are seeed hats if I remember correct.