HiFiBerry DAC+ADC or RaspiAudio Mic+V2

Yeah get 24v 5a as not expecting it to get anywhere near rated, can not check as actually what chips is anyones guess, my initial guess it will prob be about 30watt is prob about right L+R = 60watt and give 60 for sub then 120watt so 24v5amp and to get that bet its likely you need 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks, Also just curious along what speakers you would use or recommend ! Should it be a proper bookshelf speaker or a chassis speaker as we would like to build our own enclosure in the long future after through testing & tinkering ! It would be great if you could post some picture of speakers that you have or something in eBay that you would like to buy ! Just gives me a clear idea as my intention was to build up a custom enclosure somewhere down the lane !

Totally up to you, but no point going crazy as the amp you got will give a great sound, but its no studio amp.
P&P is often due to bulk is what tops up the cost but anything in the $10-20$ with prob $5 P+P

The Sony is just a pair from what would be a budget midi hifi unit and a pair cost me Ā£12.99+Ā£5.99 if I remember correctly.
The Cantons where Ā£20+Ā£6.50 which are older but a good German make.

Would of been better 4ohm but would be great on what you have.

Likely the Cantonā€™s of a higher quality than the amp and something like the Sonyā€™s would be perfect.

Subwoofer likely you will have to get seperate but if you are in no rush often ex passive home cinema ones will turn up for Ā£10 or less and again P+P can be a pain.

I paid Ā£9.99+Ā£5.00 for this Samsung sub woofer.
s-l500

So somewhere around Ā£25 for the lot plus P+P

Thank you ! The Sony sound good but I will see if I get some 4 ohms at that price !

Take your time, throw a max bid on of approx about that, fail a few times. Ebay can be strange at times but if your patient you can often find a lull and low price.

1 Like

Hello @rolyan_trauts ,

Also I have the following hardware - and intend to use one of them for Rhasspy base !

• I have an Intel NUC - celeron quad core with 8 GB
  • Mac mini 2011 with i5 core 2 duo and 16 GB (hyper threading enabled so basically it acts as four processor cores)

I was using Home Assistant inside virtual box VM on Mac mini ! I just moved the Home Assistant to Intel NUC over the weekend ! So now I plan to repurpose Mac mini as a Ubuntu Server so I can use Rhasspy Base and MQQT !

I managed to get a Pi 4 GB from a friend ( helped him with his home assistant / zigbee / Zwave setup and he gave his extra Pi 4 GB for our DIY)

So when we start testing and tweaking noise cancellation or AEC algorithms - they generally run on Satellite right ? If thatā€™s the case then our satellite on 4 GB Pi has enough juice right ?

Yes and no :slight_smile:
For everything we are doing a Pi4 is more than enough but on another level a great 48Khz RtxVoice like filter GitHub - Rikorose/DeepFilterNet: Noise supression using deep filtering its not got enough Ooomf.

I thought we where using Pi02 and you had one? As the Pi02 for what is not much more than a wireless microphone its cost seems far more relevent especially with gear, psu, case, sd card, usb, mics or hatā€¦

Both what you have are pretty stinky as lack AVX and likely less than say an Opi5 or another RK3588 likely is far more ML capable.
I did for a while consider GPU based 2nd user PCā€™s but with what has happened with energy and where its likely to lead, they are have really lost any refurb shine.

Its a huge problem at the moment as Pi02 expecting a price hike when avail in 2024 likely close to Pi3A+ which is a great SoC.
Satelite is such a weird term and would seem a strange clone of commercial hardware models that really for me in terms of a KWS activated broadcast Mic Array, eventually it will be microcontrollers and likely could be an ESP32-S3.

I am always exploring and my latest purchase was a Pixel6a phone as it has the same Tensor NPU as its bigger brothers and the CPU & GPU also ramp up into another league even if the previous series as a 20 core.

CPU: 2x 2.8 GHz ARM Cortex-X1, 2x 2.25 GHz ARM Cortex-A76, 4x 1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A55 ; GPU: ARM Mali-G78 MP20

Its interesting as Android13 that I have still to test has pKVM (KVM virtualisation) but also native NNapi drivers make things much easier for interoperability and I picked up a refurb for Ā£200.
Its crazy at the moment as Arm phone chips and crazy powerful Apple silicon AKA M1/M2 when it comes to ML donā€™t just have Mhz, low wattage, but specific instruction sets with ML instructions and wide bus vector co-processors that have been designed for DSP/MLā€¦

Ok :+1: I get it ! Yes esp-32-s3 seems to be very exciting and works well for a satellite with hardware supporting algs for noise cancellation, beam forming or echo cancellation and so on ! It also is an RTOS like you mentioned prior so ticks several boxes ! I plan to setup a second satellite using eps-32-s3 dev kit in the future !

But donā€™t we agree those esp based satellite are only good at voice recognition capabilities but not audio playback capabilities! I havenā€™t seen many that give atleast 48khz sampling rate ! They mainly lack in DACs ! So for that set of folks looking to combine a Rhasspy Satellite with HiRes music playback capabilities itā€™s still not so viable solution !

I have a Pi02 lying around too , I almost have 4-5 Pi based projects ( music streamers, Video doorbells and aquarium camera ) and so have a Pi02 and Pi4 lying empty at the moment waiting to be used !

Any esp32 doesnā€™t have any limits as it doesnā€™t have a built in DAC and its dependent on the DAC you attach to its I2S port.
RaspiAudio and there SqueezeLite ESP32 prob would take exception to your claims, but really its the Pi that has shortcomings as it only has a single free I2S port and much of the protocols are bitbanged software as opposed to the 2x fully compatible hardware pheripherials on the esp32-S3.
The Pi has Dacs that means no input audio as they take up the only available I2S port and you have that totally the wrong way round as on the Pi you are limited various specific Mic hats or usb sound cards and with the hats you are limited to one, so for a satelite it becomes a single input and even on a Pi02 that likely means much sat idle.

PS satelite means little to me as that all is needed is a KWS activated wireless mic array and maybe the akward fit of a Pi for this purpose is the reason to bloat that need to whatever a satelite is.
The analogy is that the EspHome/Tasmoto devices are not going to be specific and we call them a satelite and use a Pi for instead and find some other things they can do.
We donā€™t as all is needed is a platform that is cost effective and fulfills a specific need as microcontrollers do and exist for this purpose.
To be honest I have no idea what a voice assistant satelite really is as a voice system is that and its and audio in and out system, its only commercial Big Data who employ that peer2peer to sell more consumer equipmentā€¦

Its very much the other way round with the Pi and a Rhasspy satelite that misses the essential input audio processing and I going to try and do as much as possible with the AEC and Beamforming that is available and will let you play with the ā€˜sateliteā€™ side but for me the concept and need is alien and a bad fit from cost to function on Pi, its just advantageous due to easier higher level languages that run on a application OS and accomdates users more than function.

Hello @rolyan_trauts ,

I am also looking at audio loop back interfaces that are useful for implementing AEC algorithms. I know we havenā€™t got there yet but just curious while awaiting the shipping of components !

1. So when we are using the stereo USB sound card for our DIY, are we planning a hardware audio loop back or software audio loop back using Alsa for testing AEC algs ?

2. Also what connections need to be made to create a Hardware Audio loop back assuming we have a sound card with enough audio in and out interfaces ? I am very curious to understand the cabling and connections to create a hardware audio loop back

3. Also just very curious if we can connect Max 9814s to existing hats like IQAUDIO codec board or something like below:

No I donā€™t want to use any of the above and happy with using our stereo USB sound card ! But trying to understand if it is really possible to use any of the above listed sound cards and connect them to two Max9814s as they seem to have stereo Line Inputs !

Hardware loopback is essentially just a spare ADC channel that the output DAC feeds and it creates an audio sync.
With cards with a audio in/out sample on sample the shared clock gives no clock drift, which with seperate audio in/out via 2 clocks each sample might be prone to drift on each sample and AEC just never syncs.
Without a hardware loopback there is no direct inject and sync and there is a latency of capture and process that is prone to change due to the nature of scheduling on a non real time OS but AEC is fed audio in chunks so its effect is degraded as it tries to sync but when it does the samples of that chunk all remain the same. So with a shared clock you can but the variable latency delay of a single clock audio in/out is still problematic as AEC wil sync but chunk by chunk it will initially drift.

That is something this time I really intend to exhaust all avenues looking at latency chunk size & RtPrempt Kernels and why we have the cheapest $15 stereo ADC soundcard that allows user configuration and placement of the 2x mics.

Likely though Blind Source Seperation that doesnā€™t need a synced ref signal (Blind) where a mic array is not sat ontop of its speaker or any speaker will work much better for all (3rd party), we just lack the realtime algs on a Pi.

Ok so on our DIY when we use the Pluggable USB Soundcard , Both the ADC channels are used up by both Mics (Max9814s) right ! That means we donā€™t have a spare ADC Channel to do a hardware loopback ? Am I right in understanding this ?

Yeah as focus is to try with a $15 soundcard that you can have multiples of is to try and reduce latency and scheduling effect to a minimum as to be honest we are not going to invest much $ into AEC as its only for what its playing locally, which is limiting.

Ok does it mean we are implementing AEC with Alsa software loopback and not bang into $ to get multiple ADC Channels just to get a hardware loopback ? I understand that but I guess we need a minimum aec implementation at the least !

Dunno you can see what you think when we get there, need the mics, usb and a Pi02 to try.

Sure ! Got it. Waiting for the stuff to arrive n do cable soldering to be ready

Ps I just noticed a board that might be of interest Banana BPI-P2 Pro headless SBC features RK3308 CPU, PoE Ethernet, WiFi 5, audio jack - CNX Software

Will have to see at what price its an A35 which cunningly Arm named as its a low energy A53 pi3 like Soc.
No GPU but has onboard 8 channel ADC same SoC as the Radxa RockPi-S that I did get and was a fail for me at least due to noise on the ADC.

Yet another SBC that I will prob evaluate when avail.

1 Like

The board sounds wow!!! with 8 ADC and 2 DAC ā€¦ which is really a dream to combine a voice assistant and Music Streamer ! Just wondering if we can we use Max 9814s with the board ?

Its based on RK3308 which has great DAC though !

If its like the RockPi-S you just need differential wired electrets as bias and AGC is part of the codec.
My memory sucks bigstyle as did try on the RockPi-S but was far too noisy, but maybe they have got that sorted and Top Banana, it is.

Well ok ! Letā€™s try all the different configs as you suggested and letā€™s add banana Pi to the list .

Just to summarise we will try out :

1. Usb sound card with stereo Mic
    Input + Max9814 - letā€™s try different Algs and RTOS on this !

2. Usb sound card with stereo Mic
    Input + Solder unidirectional electrets (with different polar patterns) on Max9814s - with diff Algs and RTOS

3. The above mentioned Banana Pi with differential electrets !

4. Also on an other satellite I want to try something esp32-s3 with electro combo !

I will hold on to the enclosure until we try out different combinations as per your recommendations !