Hebrew voice recognition

Hello,
What is needed in order to support hebrew voice recognition in rhasspy?

1 Like

Hi @dror-israel,

For speech recognition, I need recordings of different people speaking short phrases (one or two sentences) along with their text transcriptions. Around 20+ hours would be a good start, with more being better.

Mozilla Common Voice doesnā€™t appear to have any Hebrew yet, unfortunately. I found the CoSIH corpus, which has a good amount (still downloading so not sure how much or the quality).

Fortunately, there is already a Hebrew phonological analysis, but I canā€™t tell if the Hebrew Wiktionary has pronunciations in the International Phonetic Alphabet.

Would you be interested in working together to add Hebrew support to Rhasspy?

1 Like

I am not that techy,
I need to understand more, to see If Iā€™m capable of doing it.

2 Likes

No need for being techy :slight_smile:

The big need is transcribed speech data, and the fact that thereā€™s none for Hebrew on Mozilla Common Voice means you have a unique opportunity to contribute!

The first step is adding Hebrew sentences to Mozillaā€™s Sentence Collector for people to read. These must be under a public domain license (CC-0). See the how to for suggestions of where to get sentences from.

The next step is getting people to read those sentences using the Common Voice website. A variety of speakers is important (gender, age), and the more data the better. Do you know anyone else who would be willing to contribute?

Iā€™ve sent an e-mail to the guy who runs NLPH, which has speech resources for Hebrew. Letā€™s see if he has the time or interest to help us out.

1 Like

I can give it a try.
Let me know if you got an answer from this guy?
Do I need a special equipment in order to record sentences?

1 Like

No, just any regular microphone will be fine :slight_smile:

If youā€™d like to help me train a Hebrew text to speech voice in the future, however, that would need a nice microphone like the Blue Yeti Nano. But one step at a time.

Iā€™ll let you know. Any other internet communities you can think of to find volunteers?

1 Like

I will dig into it at the coming weekend

3 Likes

He hasnā€™t responded, unfortunately. Maybe Iā€™ll try to reach out to him directly on GitHub.

1 Like

Ok.
Meanwhile I am trying to find volunteers.

2 Likes

Got a response from Shay. Heā€™s no longer working in the field, but he did offer to make a post on the Facebook group to ask for volunteers. @dror-israel, maybe you could help to coordinate with the group?

1 Like

Sure.
I donā€™t have a facebook, but i will contact them.

2 Likes

Lol, me either.

When you do contact them, let them know that Iā€™m also working on getting speech data from Librivox audio books (they have a number of Hebrew books). So we wonā€™t be starting from nothing!

1 Like

Please help me make a clear step by step guide and I will distribute it around Israel

Hebrew was added to Mozilla Common Voice. Unfortunately, it has no traction so far. The sentence collection step is at 25 sentences (needed: 5000). If you, @Orr_Burgel , @dror-israel or others could help, this would be great. See Common Voice . The forum at Mozilla Common Voice is very nice and helpful.

1 Like

I clicked the link you attached, but when I choose my language and put my mail it says it will notify me on the progress, it does not let me help in any way, how can I help?
@sve

Sorry, I didnā€™t try choosing a language in the linked page; I just wanted to show that there is some work going on for Hebrew.

If you want to contribute, you need a login for https://commonvoice.mozilla.org/ . In your profile, add your language Hebrew, and then you should have options to ā€œcooperate/contributeā€ or similar.

1 Like

@dror-israel @Orr_Burgel
Has anything progressed?
How can you donate to promote Hebrew?

I signed up to https://commonvoice.mozilla.org/ but I donā€™t see Hebrew in the list of languages. Am I missing something?
Is there any other way I can help with the process of adding Hebrew to Rhasspy?

Try heare

Is it possible to attach to rhasspy the intentions in Hebrew from HA
The new assist feature has a Hebrew language, can it be attached to rhasspy?
This will be very helpful, because the assist feature cannot be activated by speaking, only by clicking on the icon