What's the advantage of using mqtt external vs mqtt internal

I noticed I have been using MQTT internal until now. I switched to MQTT-external, but I don’t notice any change in behavior for the workings of Rhasspy. So I’m wondering what the advantages are of using MQTT-external?

kind regards,
Hugo

An advantage of using an external MQTT broker is that you can configure this one any way you want, while the internal MQTT broker running in the Rhasspy container (currently) has a fixed configuration. So an external MQTT broker gives you more flexibility if you want to add your own encryption, authentication, access control lists and so on.

1 Like

An advantage of using an external MQTT broker is that you can configure this one any way you want, while the internal MQTT broker running in the Rhasspy container (currently) has a fixed configuration. So an external MQTT broker gives you more flexibility if you want to add your own encryption, authentication, access control lists and so on.

OK, now I see. I find it a bit strange though that I configured all my mqtt-nodes as if I were using moquitto as a broker but in fact I did not and still everything worked fine. For example: I filled in the value “mosquitto” in my mqtt-nodes and nothing told me I was in reallity not using mosquitto.

kind regards,
hugo

You are, the internal mosquitto broker

It also enables you to centralize the event messages of your home (some of them being initiated by rhasspy, some others let’s say from your home automation software, some others from raspberry sensors…) into a single, independant messages broker. Then every software able to read or write MQTT can react to all the events !