Wake word is not waking the listener up

What type of device have you installed the docker on, what kind of mic are you using, and is the log showing anything relevant to this issue ?

the rhasspy docker is installed on raspberry 3 with raspbian buster. the mic i’m using is a playstation eyetoy connected through USB. the log shows nothing when i say the wakeup word.

the mic is working fine though, because if i press the “Wake” button and say a sentence, the correct intent is fired through MQTT - i’m using MQTT.fx to see it.

For giggles, can you switch your wake word to use [Porcupine] and see if works?

that’s gonna be a bit of a pain to setup… but i found another thing - according to
https://rhasspy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/wake-word/#pocketsphinx “smaller the number, the less like the keyphrase is to be observed” so i guess you meant to INCREASE it to 1 instead of lowering to 0?

anyway - tried to set it to 1 and still doesn’t recognize it. is there any way to test pocketsphinx individually?

I am wondering if you have some corrupt files or missing some file for your wake word handler. Switching the wake word handler to Porcupine and if that works we have an answer. Now switching shouldn’t be that bad , just a couple of clicks here and there, I’m not talking about setting up a custom wake word, just use the default, Porcupine wake word, its just for testing.

“Put keyword files in the porcupine directory in your profile” - do i need to do that? whats the format of the file?

If I recall, everything is done for you with the default keyword, you have to place the keyword in if you are not using the default.

ok - just did it - saying “porcupine” works!
so - how do i reinstall pocketsphinx?

Ok ,I think you need to re-download you profile, which is just a click of a button on the setting tab.

Re-Download Profile

Now you might want to backup any Sentence,Words or anything else you might have added, because I do not know if they will be lost with this proccess.

did it, but - moved back to pocketsphinx and the wakeup word doesn’t work

after you re-downloaded, did you train Rhasspy?

Also, make sure:

Listen for wake word on start-up

Is checked

I never got pocketsphinx wakeword to work at all. I used the default Porcupine for a while and then switched to snowboy. Both work without issue. I think your problem is PocketSphinx. (English profiles here)

Hi @impeham

Just for your info check this thread

I have ps3eye and its mic has really low volume by default. Which leads to problems with wakewords and speech recognition.
Maybe it’s your case too

sorry for not answering yesterday - i got this message when tried to post: “You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 17 hours before trying again.”

training didn’t solve the issue and yes - “Listen for wake word” is checked.
the eyetoy is not the problem since the intent is being recognized easily - even from a distance if i press the “Wake” command manually before - it’s just waking it up by wake up word is the problem.

Doing a little searching, I have found that a lot of people are in the same boat as you on this, and I am not sure why it works for some and not the other. Is there a reason you are set on using pocketsphinx as your wake word handler? It is 3rd in the list as performance goes, 1st porcuoine, and 2nd snowboy. If you would rather not say porcupine you can choose other wake words they provide. This is a link to a list of them: (choose the folder of you OS)

And, you can also make a custom wake word with porcupine, but you have to renew it every 30 days, which could be a pain. That leads you to using snowboy and creating a custom wake word. Now i think using one of these options will clear up your wake word issue, now to just get your intent issue, fixed.

1 Like

thanks!

well the reason i use pocketsphinx is that generally i prefer the fully on premise solutions and i thought it was the only one like that. i definitely want to choose a wakeup word and renew it every time is a pain…

One reason (at least for me) to not want to use either Porcupine or Snowboy is to avoid non-free software. Of the available free software options, which one would be best?

@voice, when you say non-free, I am not sure what you are referring to, because Porcupine and Snowboy are both free to use. With Porcupine, there are several wake word that you can use. If you want to create your own wake word then you have to signup on there web sign and create one, but you will have to do it every 30 days, because it expires, this is still free. Now with Snowboy, it is also free to use but you have to create an account on their website. So, if you are just talking free, then the two options above will work for free. As I think about it you maybe talking about open source when you refer to non-free, not sure, but I hope this clears a couple of things up.

Sorry, but it seems that you and I are attributing different meanings for free software.

What I mean is free as in speech, as related to freedom (not only price). It is also often called open source (or FLOSS: Free/Libre and open source software).

It seems to me that both Porcupine and Snowboy are proprietary software (aka non-free by the “freedom” definition).