Solved: Permission problem installing/starting Rhasspy 2.5.8 debian package

Hi all,
I’m trying to install 2.5.8 on a Raspi3B+ to use as a satellite, and I’m hitting one or two issues. Looking for some pointers please where I’m going wrong.
I downloaded the deb file using the link in the instructions (read the docs, latest) and installed it. Then I tried to start it as per the instructions,
rhasspy --profile en

but I got errors
"FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/home/pi/.config/rhasspy/profiles/en’ "

So I manually created the “missing” folders (using sudo mkdir) and tried to start it again. This time I get different errors (progress of a sort :wink: ), now I have
" PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/pi/.config/rhasspy/profiles/en/supervisord.conf’ "

I’m wondering, should I be starting rhasspy using sudo?? Or do I need to work through the folders and change the permissions - if so, how should they be?
Sorry if this seems basic. First time I’ve tried installation with debian package.

Hello Andrew,

You must first choose which user will run rhasspy.

If you are a beginner and not worried about security or breaking the rest of the system, you probably want to run rhasspy as root (this user have all permissions and does whatever he wants). It is done using sudo, as you said.

If you want to do cleaner things, do learn some generic stuff on the internet about users and permissions on linux systems.

Basically, whoami gives you the name of the current user. When you launch a command without sudo, it runs with this user permissions.

So this user needs to get some access to /home/pi/.config/rhasspy/profiles/en/supervisord.conf
You have to understand and grant access needed to this file (read-only, write access, execution ?). Then, to provide those access, use the chmod command. Also take care of giving access to the enclosing folders.

If I remember well, the supervisord.conf file is recreated by the user running rhasspy at startup. So, the user running rhasspy have to be provided write access to the directory /home/pi/.config/rhasspy/profiles/en/ to be able to do that.

Cheers !

farfade, Thanks for the clear explanation! :smiley:
Now that I understand what is happening, I’ll start off using root as the user, as it’s just my home network so security not a major concern at this stage. Then I’ll get some experience before moving to a special user and setting up the necessary permissions.

1 Like