ReSpeaker 2 Mic hat on Buster

I has the wrong idea to update/upgrade my buster install on both Pi before getting rhasspy latest.

All went fine and worked, until I reboot.

No more sound card recognized. Same with aplay / arecord -l

Did the standard install:

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/respeaker/seeed-voicecard
cd seeed-voicecard
sudo ./install.sh

Got error, never had this problem before

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make -j4 KERNELRELEASE=5.10.11-v7l+ -C /lib/modules/5.10.11-v7l+/build M=/var/lib/dkms/seeed-voicecard/0.3/build....(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.11-v7l+ (armv7l)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/seeed-voicecard/0.3/build/make.log for more information.
Can't compile with this kernel, aborting
Please try to compile with the option --compat-kernel

Also tried sudo ./install.sh ā€“compat-kernel with same result

Any idea how to install Respeaker 2mic on lastest Buster ?

Strange, after some times, retried sudo ./install.sh ā€“compat-kernel and it finnally installed after a lot of stuff ā€¦

This downgrades your kernel.

Better use HinTakā€™s fork:

1 Like

Yes reading all le log it indeed downgraded my kernel.

Anyway on your link, installation is exactly the same, how does you get it from hintak ?

git clone https://github.com/HinTak/seeed-voicecard

The rest of the installation is indeed the same.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any issues using the official Seeed files anymore. They updated their repo on GitHub some time ago with the changes from HinTak.

Cool, even without downgrading the kernel? Iā€™ll try this next time I reinstall a Rhasspy satellite on Raspberry Pi OS Buster.

They integrated the fixes from the HinTak branch but they havenā€™t done much since then. HinTak still works on fixing more of the drivers, mainly crashes with 64bit systems and ubuntu but HinTak is still the more current fork.

3 Likes

Hi there,
I can just confirm that as of today, only Hin Tak drivers do not downgrade the Raspi kernel !
Thanks for the link to Hin Tak repo :+1:

The adafruit instructions are good for the hintak repo

The ā€˜officialā€™ audio-codec-zero even if more costly is prob a better choice, then its just dtoverlay=iqaudio-codec in /boot/config.txt

1 Like

Good hints on Adafruit site mentionned regarding the kernel version :+1:

Why do you say that Audio Codec Zero ā€œis prob a better choiceā€ ?
Dialog datasheet mainly emphasis on the low-power characteristics and size but for a Raspi hat it may not be a dealbreaker ? I am wrong ? :crazy_face:

Its now part of the ā€˜officialā€™ Raspberry range dunno what the situation is with raspberry & iquadio if now one and the same but it supplied as a raspberry product.

No drivers its purely a /etc/config.txt edit.

The codec zero has a mems omni and electret input with aux in and aux out and covers just about all scenarios.

2 Likes