Question: Rhasspy Next!

Hi,

Just a few questions about the future rhasspy which should get all standard hermes topics and work as services.

I think something important is to have an easy setup for both a single or master rhasspy, and a satellite that could run on pi zero.

There was some talk about a docker-satellite container, but maybe a standard common container could be run with minimal stuff, and then we can activate each service from the interface. Some being greyed/inactivable on a pizero, with two easy configurations, master or satellite, would turn on corresponding services ?

Or will we have to install every single service we need and configure each so they work together ?

Also, will http endpoints and handle/remote webhooks/awake be still there ?

I don’t report/test a lot, letting developers working on this next version. But would understand a bit more what to expect regarding differences with actual version.
I also guess the doc would need a lot of rewrite ?

Thanks for the amazing work :+1: I have no doubt it will be even better !

So far, we’re working to have each service available as:

• Python code runnable in a virtual environment
  • A Docker image for all of the supported architectures (including Pi Zero)
  • A binary .tar.gz compiled with PyInstaller (all architectures)
  • A Debian package (.deb, all architectures)

One of the services, rhasspy-server-hermes hosts the HTTP/websocket endpoints and webhooks like the Rhasspy 2.4 server. All of its functionality, though, is done through MQTT messaging. You can run Rhasspy without this service if all you need is Hermes MQTT messages and no web UI.

I plan to have a main rhasspy-server Docker image that contains all of the supported services and behaves a lot like Rhasspy 2.4, except that it will support all of the Hermes topics. For a lot of users, this should be a drop-in replacement for 2.4.

Instead of a standard satellite Docker image, it might be easier just to provide a suggested Docker compose file with a minimal set of services. Because each service will have its own Docker image, it will be easy to mix and match through Docker compose.

Yes, and I would welcome suggestions for how to deal with this. I made the mistake of not providing a version to ReadTheDocs when I created my Rhasspy project, so all of the links out on the Internet refer to latest :frowning: I’d hate for those links to all break, but we also need to be able to rewrite things as Rhasspy changes.

1 Like