New 3D printing case for Rhasspy

Hello. My first prototype object in 3D printing, a box for Rhasspy with a Raspberry Pi 4 B, a ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array and an HP6R2W speaker with JST connector.

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice! It almost looks like a face :slight_smile:

Yes. It looks nice.
What about publishing the construction files. I would like to try them.

No problem, with pleasure!
I have a small error that I need to correct on my drawing, concerning the speaker fixing (this is my first 3D printing test). I will be doing this this weekend and I will post the .stl files.

Hi !
I designed and printed a new case which is much more compact. It looks more like Amazon’s Echo Dot 2.
What do you think about this prototype?
Do you prefer that I give the files of my first model or of this one?

4 Likes

This is awesome! I’d be interested in the second one :slight_smile:

Hi !
Well done and thank you very much for all the great work you do!
Here is the link to a Dropbox folder where there are the 3 .stl files for the 3 parts that make up the box that looks like Amazon Echo Dot 2.

2 Likes

For the people who like me have been following @rolyan_trauts microphone adventures or were inspired by them, I’ve been working on an echo dot style case for a raspberry pi 3a+ and an electret microphone. It’s not quite finished yet as unfortunately I’m too busy with other things atm but here is what I’ve got so far working as one of my satellites:

The things used are:

• cm108 usb soundcard (directly soldered usb naked usb plug and jumper wires on both mic and headphone to safe space
  • max9814 electret mic module
  • adafruit Pam8302 mono amplifier
  • visaton bf 32 speaker
  • a ky-016 rgb led module

With this combination I managed to fit everything in a sub 10 cm printed round case.
I’ll upload the files once I am satisfied with them but for now I’m still fine tuning some of the positions.

Johannes

4 Likes

@JGKK Loving the design! :+1:

1 Like

@JGKK How is the USB sound card audio quality? Do you have static or noise in the speaker when there is no playback?

Great ! Nice model!
I see that other enthusiasts also spend hours drawing!:wink:
Mine is 11 centimeters in diameter and 4.7 centimeters high.
I also printed a white version.

2 Likes

That’s actually why i chose the pam8302 amp, it has a shutdown pin so i only activate it via nodered when im actually playing something on the speaker so in standby there is no sound at all. I think the biggest problem is shielding.
I already added some tin foil to the mic as i was getting a lot of noises from wifi and even the pi itself. I think electret mics are actually more prone to this than the mems variety. So you could probably quieten down the speaker with a similar tin foil strategy too.

1 Like

mine is 37 mm heigh and has a width of 99 mm :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi !

Both Looks awesome. :grinning:

Could you please share the speaker part no. used in your design.

Thank you.

https://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/bf32-8ohm/loudspeaker-ali-cone-8-ohm-1-3/dp/LS04222

The original design is a bit weird as the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array as I always have a tendency to say has no algs for beamforming, but weirder is really its designed to be a planar mic and not vert like that.

Likely what JGKK did is more cost effective but I still dislike those little ‘toy’ speakers, but what you can do is fill the whole base with a down firing 8" 30 watt cone and use elongated mounting screws to also act as legs and then your also isolating the speaker apart from the speaker cable that really you should seal.

Then have an upper compartment for the rest even a pixel ring.
Jury might still be deliberating if those tectonic BMR type speakers do atually give a wider dispersion so more suited for down firing, the magnets and weight of them is mighty though.
You can prob get a 5v buck in there as a 50watt amp or more as that is rated driving 2-ohms @ 10% THD but expect on 24v with the 4ohm above it will be more like 30watt or 12v likely 20watt.
Guestimate but from the amp specs you should be able to tell.

I have given up on all but the 2mic with respeaker as I could modify a beamformer I wrote but the Pi doesn’t support TDM mode and the bit-bang driver respeaker have created brings in the channels in a random order.

Also if you do have a single mic often the ‘satelite’ is near a wall by a plugsocket so that x2 front facing ducts to a dual pair of mics or singular will garner a bit of rear rejection through construction.
I usually mount those electret mics in a 9.5mm rubber grommet as easy as its a hole and does also provide a tad more isolation.

Pluggable do a stereo ADC Plugable USB Audio Adapter – Plugable Technologies snip some duponts and solder to a 3.5mm TRS Jack plug.
I did a 2 mic beamformer and with those Max9814 the farfield should be pretty reasonable.
GitHub - StuartIanNaylor/2ch_delay_sum: 2 channel delay sum beamformer
You ears will likely not tell its cut out substantial portions of reverberation but likely recognition will.

Thought I would just mention it as that 8" speaker is the approx same price as the ‘toy like’ 1.3" speaker.
Same goes for the amps 60W TPA3118 Digital Amplifier Board AMP DC 10-24V Module PBTL Mono BwGHUKY PQoik | eBay

Having a mute & standby pins is usefull though and apart from the name these are mighty.
https://store.sure-electronics.com/product/445

PS if you do use a buck to power the Pi GPIO then likely you will need

Or similar to remove the Gnd hum you often get.

If anyone is ever up for redesigning a case, let me know as would like to give some input and maybe also purchase a couple from you.