Meet Sam, my wooden home assistant

Hi,

I just want to share my project.

I turned a ladle for a Raspberry PI with a Matrix creator. I have also created some simple skills for it. Right now it can:

• Tell the current time
  • Tell a joke (although it is hard to hear)
  • Turn on/off philips hue lamps
  • Setting timers
  • Telling useless facts
  • Telling the outside temperature (using Wolfram Alpha for that)

Up next:

• Start/stopping Spotify and be able to ask what is playing
  • Start/stopping radio from tunein
  • Mark episode as watched on episodehunter.tv

I have created a git repo here with the skills, if anybody is interested.

Thanks, Rhasspy, for an awesome project!

16 Likes

amazing !!!

1 Like

Great work! I wish I had those skills

1 Like

This looks amazing :smiley:

1 Like

I like it and my wife would really love it. Great work. :+1:

1 Like

Just AWESOME, really!!!
How did you construct the cover of the matrix voice with the grid on top?
Is there a ring underneath?
Do you have some detail pictures of cover?

1 Like

Very impressed, it looks really professional - +1 for more info, please. :+1:
Is a speaker included, or microphone only?

1 Like

It looks much more difficult than it actually is. This is the first time I turned. I guess the hardest problem is to find a lathe.

1 Like

Thanks for all kand words. It means a lot! and sorry for the late reply.

How did you construct the cover of the matrix voice with the grid on top?
Is there a ring underneath?

@thomas_cologne, The construction is actually quite easy. I have just milled a track at the top. I then tighten a usual speaker cloth around a metal ring that I buckle in the track so it is kept in place. It is however quite hard to get it to look good so I have ordered a solid ring that I’m going to try to glue the cloth on and use. I’m not sure it will work but I hope so.
My first idea was to create a wooden cover of wood veneer but I could not get any color, except for red, through the veneer.

Is a speaker included, or microphone only?

@Andrew49, My first idea was to build a box with both speaker and microphone but the box should have become quite large, and since the small speaker did not sound as good as I wanted, I decided to have the speaker outside of the box. At the moment I have hung up 2 small speakers under my desk. But I thinking of buying a speaker from IKEA to get better sound.

2 Likes

@tjoskar
What a nice looking home assistant. Thank you for explaining how to do the cover. I will try this, too, once I figured out how to get my assistant running well with german language and completed my hardware setup :slight_smile:

Hey. Would you share your drafts for the wooden case? Did you design the cover in a program?

Thanks in advance

I didn’t use any program, I just turned freely (I’m not sure of the English expression here)

I can give you all dimensions if you want of the finish product.

The dimensions would be awesome. I’ve just started to create a 3d model using sketchup. I’ll share it later in. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Looks awesome!!! Really greatly made!

Sorry for the delay. I took two pictures with some dimensions, let me know if you want know anything else!
How is’t going with your 3D model?

3 Likes

Hey @tjoskar! May I ask how you connected to wofram? Are you also connected to another intent handler like home assistant at the same time?

Thank you!!

@kiprock
I created a simple handler in nodejs: https://github.com/tjoskar/sam-skills/blob/master/src/app.ts that listens on websocket events. I then created a simple wolfram handler: https://github.com/tjoskar/sam-skills/blob/master/src/skills/wolfram.ts
I have not connected rhasspy with home assistant, I just use my own (simple) handler. Let me know if you want a walkthrough of the code or the setup.

1 Like