Interface sentences, add file greyed out

Hi

I’m on last docker version. In the UI sentences tab, the function to add a new file (the green button) is always disabled. I can’t drag and drop a file into the input either.

Not very important but wanted to signal it.
The web UI is amazing ever, and if it can be better, all the best for users.

Also in slot tab, having the slots one by one perf file like sentences could be nice also.

This web UI make rhasspy very user friendly, let’s make it even better with all params accessible from there. This is a big plus on snips for example, which is all about editing files.

1 Like

It may not be intuitive, but here’s how it’s supposed to work:

1. Type the name of a new sentences file in the text box next to “Add File”
    • Something like intents/my-intents.ini
  2. Click “Add File”
  3. Add your intents and sentences to the main text box
  4. Click “Save Sentences” and intents/my-intents.ini will be created in your profile

Any thoughts on how to make this more clear?

Also, definitely agree about the slots editor being better :slight_smile:

Hi,

Ok see it now, didn’t though about this. Maybe rename the button like “Create new intent file” ?
And same for slots then ?

It took me reading this a few times to understand what I was supposed to do honestly.

I would vote for in the dropdown of existing .ini files (at least that is what I am interrupting them as, that there be an option to “Create New Intents file” which when selected shows an input box for a new name and creates the file when saving. So remove the “Add File” completely. I am still getting up to speed with Rhasspy but would love to lend my development skills to the project.

1 Like

This seems reasonable. Are you a web developer by chance?

Yeah, all around developer. Just let me know where to start and I will help out.

1 Like

I started something for this and have the basic change ready but had a few questions.

1. Should I create an issue for this in github to continue the discussion?
  2. What are the reasons for creating separate intent files / what are the benefits? Is it purely just a matter of a user preference or could there be performance reasons as well? Could there be future (or current) automation possibilities by doing so?
  3. I only saw reference to the sentences_dir in the Usage and Profile page, but I don’t think a normal user would remember that when on that form. Could we just pull the sentences_dir from their profile so they can just enter in a file name? I haven’t gone through the code enough yet to find an example of that.
  4. As far as the slots, the gui seems to indicate a different format (json) vs what the documentation is saying (flat list in files). I am still reading through things to confirm which changes to make.
1 Like

Sorry for the (very long) delay in my response!

1. We can continue the discussion here :slight_smile:
  2. There may be performance benefits in the future to keeping separate intent files, but for now it’s mostly user preference. It also makes it easier to share intents.
  3. That’s a good point. I did imagine a user also wanting to create (or download) sub-directories of intents under sentences_dir. Any thoughts on how to expose that in the web UI better?
  4. The JSON format is what the REST API uses to pass slots back and forth to the web UI, but the slots themselves are stored in flat files. It was lazy of me to just use the JSON in a text box, so it would be best to fix this soon :wink:

Any progress here? Could u push your current changes? Do u need some help?

1 Like

I’ve made some progress on this in the preview for 2.5. Clicking on the “New Sentences File” button brings up a dialog where you enter the new name. That adds a new entry to the drop down list.

The new slots page is structured identically. In both cases, deleting the content of a sentences file/slot and saving will delete the underlying file.