HLC build failed "can't build numpy"

Trying to install Hermes LED Control using the download script. build fails with the error “can’t build numpy.”

× Building wheel for numpy (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [1067 lines of output]

followed by long output of errors. Where from here?

Post the output errors :wink:

I tried but the error output was over 100,000 characters. Here is the crux of it

error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Building wheel for numpy (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [1067 lines of output]
      Processing numpy/random/_bounded_integers.pxd.in
      Processing numpy/random/_sfc64.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/mtrand.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_mt19937.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_pcg64.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_common.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/bit_generator.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_generator.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_philox.pyx
      Processing numpy/random/_bounded_integers.pyx.in
      Cythonizing sources
      blas_opt_info:
      blas_mkl_info:
      customize UnixCCompiler
        libraries mkl_rt not found in ['/home/pi/HermesLedControl/venv/lib', '/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib', '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf']
        NOT AVAILABLE

blis_info:
        libraries blis not found in ['/home/pi/HermesLedControl/venv/lib', '/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib', '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf']
        NOT AVAILABLE

Could it have something to do with os or python version? I am running buster and have both python 2.7.16 and python 3.7.3 installed.

I think you are missing libraries.
Found a similar message here

sudo apt-get install libblas-dev liblapack-dev libatlas-base-dev

I am not using HLC, so I’m guessing here

Thanks, but that didn’t work. I’ve searched on this problem, which is quite common and seems to come from a mismatch with python and pywheels.

I reattached the matrix voice to a pi3 and am running rhasspy as a satellite on that. All I want to do is trigger the LEDs on wake, recording, and error as the sounds are triggered. Isn’t there an easy way to do that, maybe with the python commands in matrix lite?

Maybe, I do not know. I thought the HLC was easy :smiley:

I think I figured out what happened here. You are using python 3.7 and the installer script is just getting any version of numpy it can find, it doesn’t specify. Since December 2021 numpy has a minimum python version of 3.8, so you either need to install an older version of numpy, or use a newer version of python.

I was hopeful this might work. I installed numpy1.21.5, which is said to work with python3.7, but the script failed in the same place. I guess the hlc package is no longer maintained. thanks anyway.

And then I compiled python 3.9 (which takes about 90 minutes on an Rpi3) and finally HLC compiled and installed.