First Time install - Microphone and Speaker Issues in Rhasspy (working from shell and PyAudio python)

I’ve installed rhasspy on a pi4 from the debian package, and using a seeed ReHat 2 for audio. I’m able to both record and play sound using aplay/arecord and also using the python utitlies provided from Seeed studio (PyAudio library). My problems start when trying to use Rhasspy as both audio recording and audio playing don’t seem to work. My rhasspy profile is as follows

{
“dialogue”: {
“system”: “rhasspy”
},
“intent”: {
“system”: “fsticuffs”
},
“microphone”: {
“pyaudio”: {
“device”: “12”
},
“system”: “pyaudio”
},
“sounds”: {
“aplay”: {
“device”: “plughw:3,0”
},
“system”: “aplay”
},
“speech_to_text”: {
“system”: “kaldi”
},
“text_to_speech”: {
“larynx”: {
“default_voice”: “southern_english_female”,
“vocoder”: “vctk_small”
},
“nanotts”: {
“language”: “en-GB”
},
“system”: “larynx”
},
“wake”: {
“system”: “porcupine”
}
}

with the device ID’s being set to what worked for aplay and PyAudio record.

I’m testing playing of audio using the tts function. When I type text and then select speak, I can see a .wav file is created in the larynx cache directory, but I hear nothing played and I see no errors in the logs. I can use aplay and play the wav file which has correctly been created.

Log File:
DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:42:30,305] rhasspyserver_hermes: Handling TtsSayFinished (topic=hermes/tts/sayFinished, id=102694f3-9760-44f5-8ac6-8c166496a5e8)
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:42:26,561] rhasspyserver_hermes: Handling AudioPlayBytes (topic=hermes/audioServer/default/playBytes/3c0c345b-023e-42e4-8c19-94133cd3b5dd, id=102694f3-9760-44f5-8ac6-8c166496a5e8)
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:42:24,665] rhasspyserver_hermes: Publishing 207 bytes(s) to hermes/tts/say
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:42:24,665] rhasspyserver_hermes: → TtsSay(text=‘Would this be faster on better hardware, that is the question’, site_id=‘default’, lang=‘southern_english_female’, id=‘3c0c345b-023e-42e4-8c19-94133cd3b5dd’, session_id=‘’, volume=1.0)
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:42:24,661] rhasspyserver_hermes: TTS timeout will be 30 second(s)

For testing the micropone from the Rhasspy gui, I’m using the wakeup button on the home screen, and expecting it to identify the intent I speak, but no intent is flagged and eventually I get a timeout error. The log file for this is;
ERROR:2022-12-31 21:53:16,469] rhasspyserver_hermes:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/quart/app.py”, line 1821, in full_dispatch_request
result = await self.dispatch_request(request_context)
File “/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/quart/app.py”, line 1869, in dispatch_request
return await handler(**request_.view_args)
File “/usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy-server-hermes/rhasspyserver_hermes/main.py”, line 943, in api_listen_for_command
async for response in core.publish_wait(handle_intent(), [], message_types):
File “/usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy-server-hermes/rhasspyserver_hermes/init.py”, line 995, in publish_wait
result_awaitable, timeout=timeout_seconds
File “/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 449, in wait_for
raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:52:46,450] rhasspyserver_hermes: ← HotwordDetected(model_id=‘default’, model_version=‘’, model_type=‘personal’, current_sensitivity=1.0, site_id=‘default’, session_id=None, send_audio_captured=None, lang=None, custom_entities=None)
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:52:46,442] rhasspyserver_hermes: Waiting for intent (session_id=None)
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:52:46,441] rhasspyserver_hermes: Publishing 199 bytes(s) to hermes/hotword/default/detected
[DEBUG:2022-12-31 21:52:46,440] rhasspyserver_hermes: → HotwordDetected(model_id=‘default’, model_version=‘’, model_type=‘personal’, current_sensitivity=1.0, site_id=‘default’, session_id=None, send_audio_captured=None, lang=None, custom_entities=None)

My current thought is that perhaps this is a python version issue as currently have 3.9.2 installed and it looks like rhasspy using 3.7. I’ve also tried a docker version of Rhasspy. With docker I could get audio out to work, but not audio in still. I’d prefer to use the package install so appreciate if anyone has any ideas on what the issue is, or further information required to troubleshoot this.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome.

I’m hardy an expert on linux audio … but I went through similar challenge getting my reSpeaker HAT working with RasPi satellite machines.

I note that you have microphone set to pyaudio device 12, which seems odd. Also “plughw:3.0” is not what i would expect for aplay in sounds … so I suggest checking that you are getting the correct devices configured.

Firstly, just to clarify your environment…

1. Are you using Rhasspy with a home automation package (e.g. Home Assistant) or stand-alone ?
  2. have you installed HAOS, Raspberry Pi OS, Debian, or other OS on your RasPi 4 ? Docker ?
  3. Which sound board driver did you install ?
  4. You said the audio in and out is working at the OS level. Would you please post results of “arecord -l” and “aplay -l” (use the “</>” button above to format the text nicely)

FYI: I have Raspberry Pi OS and reSpeaker 2-mic HAT with Hintak driver on a RasPi Zero W. For comparison my arecord and aplay are:

pi@rhasspy-0:~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@rhasspy-0:~ $ arecord -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
playback
capture
dmixed
array
sysdefault:CARD=seeed2micvoicec
    seeed-2mic-voicecard, bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=seeed2micvoicec
    seeed-2mic-voicecard
    USB Stream Output
pi@rhasspy-0:~ $ aplay -L
null
jack
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
playback
capture
dmixed
array
    Default Audio Device
    seeed-2mic-voicecard
    USB Stream Output
pi@rhasspy-0:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
pi@rhasspy-0:~ $ 

NOTE: Device numbers can change with each reboot if you add or remove a device (eg a HDMI monitor that can play sound).

1. have you checked the devices are working by doing (changing the -Dhw: number if appropriate)
arecord -f cd -Dhw:0 test.wav
aplay -Dhw:0 test.wav
  1. You may need to use alsamixer to set the volume levels

Hi @donburch

Thanks for your response, I have read the install guide you created and I do plan to use it more as I want to get satalites working along with integration into Home Assistant. For now though, as first step I’m simply trying to get Rhasspy working on a single Pi4 to recognise wake word and intents. So I’ve answered your questions to include eventual setup, but again I’m simply trying to get Rhasspy wokring on a single Pi4 to start.

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 3: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0]
arecord -L
null
lavrate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Libav/FFmpeg Library
samplerate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Samplerate Library
speexrate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Speex Resampler
jack
oss
    Open Sound System
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
upmix
    Plugin for channel upmix (4,6,8)
vdownmix
    Plugin for channel downmix (stereo) with a simple spacialization
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
playback
capture
dmixed
array
usbstream:CARD=Headphones
    bcm2835 Headphones
    USB Stream Output
usbstream:CARD=vc4hdmi0
    vc4-hdmi-0
    USB Stream Output
usbstream:CARD=vc4hdmi1
    vc4-hdmi-1
    USB Stream Output
    Default Audio Device
    seeed-2mic-voicecard
    USB Stream Output
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
card 2: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
card 3: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0]
aplay -L
null
lavrate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Libav/FFmpeg Library
samplerate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Samplerate Library
speexrate
    Rate Converter Plugin Using Speex Resampler
jack
oss
    Open Sound System
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
upmix
    Plugin for channel upmix (4,6,8)
vdownmix
    Plugin for channel downmix (stereo) with a simple spacialization
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
playback
capture
dmixed
array
hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
    bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones
plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=Headphones
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
usbstream:CARD=Headphones
    bcm2835 Headphones
    USB Stream Output
hw:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0
    vc4-hdmi-0, MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0
plughw:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=vc4hdmi0
    Default Audio Device
hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0
usbstream:CARD=vc4hdmi0
    vc4-hdmi-0
    USB Stream Output
hw:CARD=vc4hdmi1,DEV=0
    vc4-hdmi-1, MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0
plughw:CARD=vc4hdmi1,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=vc4hdmi1
    Default Audio Device
hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi1,DEV=0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=vc4hdmi1,DEV=0
usbstream:CARD=vc4hdmi1
    vc4-hdmi-1
    USB Stream Output
    Default Audio Device
    seeed-2mic-voicecard

Originally I was using just default devices in the rhasspy profile as aplay and arecord work fine with no device specified, but this didn’t work either in rhasspy. I added the device ID’s because on play I wanted to use the ReSpeaker headphone jack over RP4 jack, and because on record, its the device I set to make the PyAudio python code work.

I did have to use alsamixer early on to adjust volume to get aplay and arecord working.

I am going to look into downgrading Python on the Pi4 to see if that is the issue, and I’ll take a better look through logs to see if thier are any other clues, but given I can play and record using aplay / arecord and with the Python tools, I’m surprised this isn’t working in Rhasspy.

Any other thoughts, ideas appreciated.

I only recently upgraded my HA and Rhaspy base machine from a rasPi 4. I do notice the faster response (particularly in doing the Text-to-speech when reading the weather forecast), but the RasPi 4 was certainly adequate. Depends of course on what else you are doing on the same machine, and how much computing power it has :wink:

I love the way Rhasspy is so modular - you could almost run each of the processing phases on a separate machine - but it can get confusing. Anyway, you are using what i call the “all-on-one” model. Personally I found that the reSpeaker driver would not work out-of-box with Docker used by HAOS … which pushed me to Base+Satellite model. Cest la vie.

My satellites are different RasPi models with various reSpeaker HATs (like yours), and I chose NOT to run Docker on those since so far i have avoided learning Docker. In other words, I believe you have a very valid setup there, and you have the HinTak drivers (seeed stopped updating their driver, and told users to downgrade to an old version of OS)

I would be surprised if python version was the problem.

Your aplay -l shows several devices, from which I guess you might also have a hi-fi sound card also attached ? I have also thought of that, but its yet another learning curve I have postponed. Shouldn’t make any diffeence. Anyway, our goal is to have Rhasspy using the same devices which you have tested in aplay and arecord.

What concerns me it that we have basically the same hardware, but your rhasspy profile is configured with devices:

“microphone”: {
        “pyaudio”: {
            “device”: “12”
        },
        “system”: “pyaudio”
    },
    “sounds”: {
        “aplay”: {
            “device”: “plughw:3,0”
        },
       “system”: “aplay”
    },

whereas mine has:

"microphone": {
        "pyaudio": {
            "device": "0",
            "udp_audio_port": "12203"
        },
        "system": "pyaudio"
    },

"sounds": {
        "aplay": {
            "device": "plughw:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0",
            "volume": "0.8"
        },
        "system": "aplay"
    },

I suggest we go back to rhasspy GUI and reconfigure the Audio Input and Audio Output.

… and this is where I find my current configuration does NOT match my notes :frowning: In fact, on 2 of my 3 satellites I am using “arecord” for Audio recording, but my RasPi Zero with reSpeaker 2-mic (same as yours) is configured using “pyAudio (recommended)”. I wonder if there was a reason for this difference, or that they both worked and I didn’t change back after the last test ? Whatever … it means you were on the right track.

According to the documentation you should click the grey [Test] button to get Rhasspy to test each device to guess whether it’s working or not.
Then click the blue “Refresh” button; and choose one of the options from the Device drop-down list.
I see where you got the “default* (12)”; but I suggest you choose the actual device if you can, like

Note also that if you tick the “Audio Sataistics” you should see the values below changing as the noise changes.

Is this working now ?

If not, are you running Rhasspy from a console or terminal command line ? if so you should be seeing all the log (and there’s an awful lot of it !).
Or have you got rhasspy set up as a service ?

Yes, that is my exact concern. I did some playing with the tts and found it to be slow on RP4 using a tts that sounds decent. I choose larynx currently as seemed the best one to me.

Me too, and I’m not looking at that right now. I’ve found other errors that look more likely the issue.

Just a stock RP4, with the ReSpeaker2, so its probably the sound devices for HDMI and USB output on the pi4 (guessing)

No, still not working, ive tried all kinds of device names, including the ones you use.
“plughw:3,0” and “plughw:CARD=seeed2micvoicec,DEV=0” both work with aplay||arecord -D from the command line (which makes sense) but not in Rhasspy. I’ve used the GUI to select the devices as well, but I get errors which is likely pointing to the real issue. i’ve also tried arecord instead of PyAudio as per your last post.

If I use arecord for Audio Recording in Rhasspy settings, I do get the drop down device list as shown, but it still doesnt work. I see no changing numbers in Current energy (thanks for that bit of info about enabling Statistics!). When I try PyAudio, I only get default device as the list of options, and if I hit test or Refresh I get nothing but a timeout error.

[ERROR:2023-01-02 22:54:17,253] rhasspyserver_hermes: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/quart/app.py", line 1821, in full_dispatch_request
    result = await self.dispatch_request(request_context)
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/quart/app.py", line 1869, in dispatch_request
    return await handler(**request_.view_args)
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy-server-hermes/rhasspyserver_hermes/__main__.py", line 796, in api_microphones
    microphones = await core.get_microphones()
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy-server-hermes/rhasspyserver_hermes/__init__.py", line 849, in get_microphones
    handle_finished(), messages, message_types
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy-server-hermes/rhasspyserver_hermes/__init__.py", line 995, in publish_wait
    result_awaitable, timeout=timeout_seconds
  File "/usr/lib/rhasspy/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 449, in wait_for
    raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError
[DEBUG:2023-01-02 22:53:47,221] rhasspyserver_hermes: Publishing 102 bytes(s) to rhasspy/audioServer/getDevices
[DEBUG:2023-01-02 22:53:47,221] rhasspyserver_hermes: -> AudioGetDevices(modes=[<AudioDeviceMode.INPUT: 'input'>], site_id='default', id='cdc37ab6-74fa-40a1-9143-6c80f482260e', test=False)
[ERROR:2023-01-02 22:53:43,173] rhasspyserver_hermes: 

I’m also seeing errors at startup which are concerning

2023-01-02 17:53:18,376 INFO gave up: speakers entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly

Im currently just running from the shell in background. I was previously just dumping all the output to /dev/null as so much, and just using the logs button in Rhasspy to see what was going on. But ive started to capture all output now (rhasspy --profile en > rhasspy.log 2>&1 &) Once working ok from shell then I will more it to a service.

Blast, I really hoped that choosing one of the audio recording options from the dropdown was going to fix your problem !

I’m at the ‘grasping at straws’ stage now, given that I know bugger-all about linux sound.

As mentioned, there’s an awful lot of logfile generated - lots of debugging statements which tend to hide the more important ones. Unfortunately that “concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError” is pretty standard and I just ignore it. But can you look back through the log to where you clicked the [test] button ? maybe there are error messages there which might give a clue.

Another thought … are you running the full desktop RasPi OS with Desktop ? On my satellite machines I installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite to minimise unnecessary overhead (not point to a Desktop on a machine with no screen connected). I think I recall a comment that the RasPi OS Desktop adds another layer to the audio stack.

Those errors I posted were from when I hit the test button, but not great to hear timeout errors are common.

Yes, I as using desktop version. I have a brand new RP3a which I wanted to try as a satalite (as I couldn’t get any piZero’s , so I will load that up with lite, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input, it always helps to share a problem and get someone else’s thoughts so I appreciate your time and feedback on this. I really do want to get this working and get Amazon out of my house!

1 Like

Well @donburch just wanted to let you know that I have now got this working. I did change to the lite version of the RPos (64bit), but I think the real difference was the install package. In the first instanace I used this approach te resolve the missing libraries which didnt work for me at least.
https://community.rhasspy.org/t/bullseye-refuses-to-install/3355

When I restarted using the lite OS (again 64bit) I used this method and I now have working mike (both arecord and PyAudio) and speakers (aplay).
https://github.com/rhasspy/rhasspy/issues/259#issuecomment-1367848556

I still don’t have intent recognition happering yet, so that is my next step. Can’t wait to turn my first light on and off, all local, no cloud.

1 Like