ESP32-Rhasspy-Satellite throws [upload] Error 1

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure, whether this is the right place to ask, but I haven’t really found anything else.

Today I received my MATRIX voice and already set it up according to the ESP32 guide. Now, I wanted to use the
ESP32-Rhasspy-Satellite
to get it to speak MQTT and communicate with the rest of my devices.

Unfortunaltey, the build won’t be uploaded no matter if I choose OTA or MATRIX and have it connected to an RPi4.

The error states:

esptool.py v2.6
Configuring upload protocol…
AVAILABLE: custom, esp-prog, espota, esptool, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa
CURRENT: upload_protocol = custom
Uploading .pio\build\esp32dev\firmware.bin
> Command “sh” is written wrong or
> could not be found.
> *** [upload] Error 1

I’m not really sure, if VSCode connects to my RPi4.

Any ideas what I could change or test or whatever to get more information or to get it to work?

Best regard
Julian

Ok, I have to adjust a little bit.
I didn’t use “Git bash” for the “pio run --target upload” command for it to work. At least, the process continues a bit further. But it still stops with “upload error 1”, but at a different place:

Configuring upload protocol...
AVAILABLE: esp-prog, espota, esptool, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa
CURRENT: upload_protocol = espota
Uploading .pio\build\esp32dev\firmware.bin
11:37:08 [DEBUG]: Options: {'esp_ip': '192.168.XXX.XXX', 'host_ip': '0.0.0.0', 'esp_port': 3232, 'host_port': 35793, 'auth': 'voice', 'image': '.pio\\build\\esp32dev\\firmware.bin', 'spiffs': False, 'debug': True, 'progress': True, 'timeout': 30}
11:37:08 [INFO]: Starting on 0.0.0.0:35793
11:37:08 [INFO]: Upload size: 1160224
Sending invitation to 192.168.XXX.XXX 
Authenticating...OK
11:37:08 [INFO]: Waiting for device...
11:37:18 [ERROR]: No response from device
*** [upload] Error 1

I’ve read, that the Windows firewall might stop traffic, so I set up an VM with ubuntu 21.10, but still same issue: the ESP32 is not answering. :frowning:

Any hints?

Best regards
Julian

A better place was creating an issue on GitHub :wink:

But since I am on this forum too, I can try and help you here just as well.
I read that you use windows, that probably does not have the shell command “sh”
You can try this to get it to work (first link in google so I do not it a ok)

The second screen show makes me think you have selected OTA.
But the device does not respond, because it is not flashed yet with the software.

Can you post your settings.ini?

@romkabouter thanks for the answer. Yes, I know, that it is on GitHub, but wasn’t sure, if this problem is “worth” an issue. :slight_smile:

I completely changed my build system to Ubuntu 21.10, so “Windows” shouldn’t be a problem.

The device is flashed with the “test program” of the Matrix Voice ESP32 setup how-to. I thought this would work?! But if you tell me, that I have to install you program in order to get a response, I should’t wonder it’s not working. :see_no_evil:

Tomorrow I’ll hook it up to my RPi4 again, and try to deploy it over the Pi.

Best regards,
Julian

Ok, so as my little baby bear got awake, and didn’t really want to go to sleep again, I had some time to spare. :smiley:

TL;DR: It works. (At least a bit.)

Long version: I connected the Matrix Voice to the RPi4 again and tried to upload the firmware. It was a real pain in the a**, as some services on the Pi disrupted the connection. After I fixed that, the deployment went like charm.

But when I tried to use OTA, it said: “Authentification FAILED”. So unfortunately, I have to use the Pi, if I need to change something. (Although it seems OTA on the Pi works! :confused: )

Now I have to undestand how the MQTT commands work, and I’m all set… :slight_smile:

Best regards

Strange error, are you entering he same password as you have out in the settings.ini under the OTA section?

Tried it again this morning - and it worked. Maybe there was something wrong with… whatever! :smiley:

An I realised, I have to restart the Matrix Voice in order to apply the LED settings.

Now, I have to get it to communicate with Rhasspy - but it seems there is an issue with the hotword detection - Rhasspy throws a python error - but that is a story for another thread. :slight_smile: