I’ve seen Rhasspy popping up a lot lately so I thought I’d check it out. I had Snips running well sort of. I never got it responding properly but with Home Assistant and MQTT I was able to turn off the lights, and play (also stop, volume +/-) some radio streams to my Chromecast Audio.
After Snips was shutdown I moved to Mycroft. After my battle trying to get Snips working Mycroft was up and running quickly.
I am not overly impressed with it though. I had to get a Pi 3B+ to run it as there was no local server option so now my Pi Zero W is doing nothing.
I’ve found that my wife’s, and my kid’s voices are not detected. The pitch is too high? The solution was to train Mycroft with their voices, that’s not going to happen.
I was impressed with the ease of adding new skills, and the range of skills. I was not impressed with the lack of standards, particularly around the word ‘Play’
So now I’m looking at Rhasspy. I’m impressed with what I see but I do have a few questions.
- Do skills exist? and if so how are they added?
- Can I control Mopidy?
- Can I control (activate/deactivate) Snapcast clients?
- Can I play music from my Rhasspy device (snapcast cleint) and still have 'Hey Rhasspy" work? or would I need a separate snapcast client?
- If I setup multiple satellites will the server respond to the correct one?
- Can I run Rhasspy and Retro Pi on a Pi 3b+?
I think that’s about it