cURL to MaryTTS failing in Debian Installation (Not Docker)

I’ve been trying to get Rhasspy to work with MaryTTS . When Rhasspy makes the cURL request to the MaryTTS server the cURL request seems to fail with this error:

curl: /usr/lib/rhasspy/rhasspy/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found (required by /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcurl.so.4)

It took me a while to find this, the error doesn’t show in the web interface log, but does show up in the real-time display.
I believe I have to correct openssl version:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ which openssl
/usr/bin/openssl

I found a StackOverFlow posting that indicated that this:

When an .so is loaded, the loader must find (recursively) all the .so files that the .so needs (depends on), otherwise it won't be able to load it. Python has some modules (e.g. _ssl*.so, _hashlib*.so) that depend on OpenSSL libs. Since you built yours against OpenSSL1.1.1 (the lib names differ from what comes by default on the system: typically 1.0.*), the loader won't be able to use the default ones.

I didn’t want to trouble everyone here since if I was using the Docker I probably wouldn’t have this error, so I’ve tried other web resources without any luck. So any help or direction on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated!!