Aplay a local file

I’m new to Rhasspy, so I’ve maybe been looking in the wrong place, but I can’t find this info.

I’ve set up “local command” as the intent handler, and used the template python script for this, which works just fine. The script returns some JSON to Rhasspy which activates TTS. I want to change this so Rhasspy plays a wav file that’s on local storage. It looks like this is supported via aplay but I can’t find the exact JSON values to make happen.

Can anyone help?

Hi Eairy, Not exactly what you asked, but will use aplay to play a local file. This was my very first python script; could use some updating!

# I wrote this script because I wanted my Home Assistant to be able to use my Raspberry Pi running Snips to play audio files for alerts though the Snips speakers
# This script only works with wav files, don't try an mp3 unless you want to hear a lot of static!
# This python script that will connect to the mosquitto eclipse broker used in Snips on a Raspberry Pi
# The script listens on the mosquitto topic "ha/playaudio/# and if it receives a message containing the full path to wav file will play that wav file  
# The mosquitto.conf file on the Raspberry Pi running Snips needs to be modified to include the ha/playaudio topic with the "in" direction as shown below:
# topic ha/playaudio/# in
# On a Raspberry Pi with Debian Stretch installed, the mosquitto.conf file is located in /etc/mosquitto
# To use this script with Home Assistant, have Home Assistant publish a message on ha/playaudio/ with the path to the wav file as the message
# Here's an example of an automation that will play the Front_Center.wav file located in /usr/share/sounds/alsa/ directory. (part of the standard Raspberry Pi install)
#- id: '6535824662089'
#  alias: Reminder
#  trigger:
#    - at: '09:10:05'
#      platform: time
#  action:
#    - service: mqtt.publish
#      data_template:
#         {
#          "topic": "ha/playaudio/",
#          "payload": "/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav"
#         }
# Be careful of the spacing when creating automations, Home Assistant is very picky. A copy and paste of the above automation into the automation.yaml should work after all of the "#"'s are removed
# Depending on where you locate this file (I have it in /use/share/) and how you create it, you may need to modify its properties to run it
# Finally, there isn't any santization or checking of the message before it is run.  This can cause bad juju if a nefarious party wanted to try something, so use at your own risk! 
#
#
# !/usr/bin/env python
# encoding: utf-8
from __future__ import print_function #brings the print function from Python 3 into Python 2.6+, only necessary for debugging, and has to be first line in program
import paho.mqtt.client as mqtt #import the client, paho.mqtt.client is not installed as part of standard Snips install, if you need to install: pip install paho-mqtt
import subprocess

def on_connect(client, userdata, flags, rc):
#  print("Connected with result code " + str(rc)) # for debugging, uncomment to check if connected, should be result code 0
  client.subscribe("ha/playaudio/#")

def on_message(client, userdata, message):
    print("message received " ,str(message.payload.decode("utf-8"))) # for debugging, uncomment to check message
#  print("message topic=",message.topic) # for debugging, uncomment to check topic
#  print("message qos=",message.qos) # for debugging, uncomment to check quality of service
#  print("message retain flag=",message.retain) # for debugging, uncomment to check retained message flag
    wavefile = ''
    wavefile = str(message.payload.decode("utf-8"))
    subprocess.call(['aplay', str(wavefile)])

client = mqtt.Client() 
client.on_connect = on_connect
client.on_message = on_message
client.connect("XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX", 1883, 60) 
client.loop_forever()