Anyone using the IQaudio codec zero?

There has already been discussion about this board in the Anyone tried Adafruit Voice Bonnet? thread; but it deserves its own topic.

Well, being a WM8960 upgrade is good news … less chance of it becoming a dead-end.

I believe an entry in config.txt uses a driver which is already built-in to the Raspberry Pi OS. Could be an issue for other OSes, though.

My issue though is that IQaudio are obviously focused on playing quality sound - but this is the only microphone in their range. It uses a different chip and a different driver to the reSpeaker - which could be good … but it could also turn out to be a dead end if not well supported.

I have yet to see any indication that anyone has used IQaudio codec zero (or the Adafruit Voice Bonnet) for a voice assistant. For someone like me with limited funds, more limited technical expertise, and who is a danger with a soldering iron … i am looking for a simple plug and play module to make cheap voice assistant satellites.

They exist and they are called usb sound cards, don’t need drivers, have simple controls and also don’t have totally pointless stereo mems omnidirectional mics as you have to source a cheap plugin one yourself.

External Virtual USB 3D 7.1 Channels Sound Audio Card Adaptor for Raspberry Pi 8608845620852 | eBay are exceptionally cheap but hard to tell whats in them if 1b3f:2008 Generalplus Technology Inc. pretty OK if a very old Intel chip set that ends up in those white cases you lucked out as pretty bad.

Mini Unidirectional 3.5mm Recording Microphone Fr Mobile Phone/Notebook Computer | eBay Mini cardioid that has natural directionality and also AEC.
You want to position forward of speaker as the rear is open and provides pressure on the diaphragm of the mic so you get an antiphase cancelling effect if close proximity.
With distance much of the audio becomes reverberation so the effect lessons quickly but much better than a omnidirectional that has nothing.

All the rest are pretty pointless and even high end beamformers as Rhasspy doesn’t fix keyword DoA (Direction & not dead :slight_smile: ) of the keyword to fix the beam, are pretty pointless as very prone to noise.

You can find those unidirectional cheaper also on ebay/aliexpress only prob is at the couple of $ price from experience its hard to guarantee exactly what you might get.
Pretty sure that link is defo unidirectional even if a couple of $ more than the cheapest can not remember if the usb card link was the Generalplus Technology Inc which is the one you want.

OK Roylan, I have bitten.

I have just purchased a USB sound card and microphone similar to the ones you linked to:

FYI the above items cost AUS$12, whereas reSpeaker 2-mic HAT is $17.39 (strangely I could find only one distributor in Aus with the 2-mic still in their catalog), IQaudio Codec Zero is $31.50, and Adafruit Voice Bonnet is $35.80. A RasPi Zero WH sells for $24.95. All up, a Rhasspy satellite with RasPi Zero with reSpeaker 2-mic, 5v power supply, microSD card and a 8 ohm speaker comes to Aus $82 … which I guess should be compared to a Alexa Echo Dot for $54 or Google Nest mini for $66.

I choose to buy from Australian sellers, because I have found that prices from China are usually not worth the hassles of poor communication and long delivery times (I have been waiting 2 months for a packet of orchid seeds to leave Shanghai airport).

When they arrive I will have fun assembling the bits and trying to work out some sort of box for it :wink:

Yeah the only one I ever struggled with is the white case USB are cheap and cheerful any luckily my 1st one was a Generalplus Technology Inc one and it wasn’t until I got another that had the intel chipset in the exact same white casing I knew there was a difference.
The Intel one is a very old chipset they discarded a long time ago.

Its sort of impossible to tell on purchase so fingers crossed but if I have wasted you a couple of $ guess its no big hit but get a CM108 as they are advertised as so, so it is whats on the tin.
I do prefer the short usb fly lead type to the dongle type as it can make things easier.

After you get that give me a shout and will give you a hand with Speex AEC as both give limited AEC but the combination sums and its up there with the best we have got.

It always gets tricky and will take the time to create a repo for an easy install inside a docker container.
The beamforming in pulseaudio does work in a fashion but it was always set up for a laptop environ where its a fixed direction and immediate.
It also includes AEC which is better at cancelling but fails at fairly modest inputs, Speex AEC doesn’t fail it just bleeds through more as echo volume raises but doesn’t just stop all together.

The mic drill a hole and glue, it will point out about 20mm but the body has a boss where the 3.5mm should just feed through.
You prob want a shallow square box where the lid you can cut a speaker hole and just hide with the cheap mesh covers you can get. Prob put the mic above the top of the speaker central so the box is on its side or wall mounts, maybe?

I am on a small pension, so EVERY dollar IS a big hit.

Rolyan, I am sure you mean well, but please please STOP ASSUMING that EVERYONE has the same expertise, skills and income as you !

You can start by explaining, in simple English, how running Docker will speed up a RasPi Zero.

Re the case. I have been thinking to start with a cardboard box like the Google AIY Voice kit. When i am happy with the layout I can look at 3D printing something more permanent.
I assume that separating the speaker to a separate compartment, and facing it away from the mic(s) will make a big difference … but beyond that … no idea :frowning:

You obviously have a very definite idea of the ideal case in your mind. Do you have a picture you can show me ?

Not really its just cardiod mics its a front diaphragm with also rear ports.
So you want the mic forward of speaker(s) as much as you can so it gives the cancelation effect.
We are not talking a lot but have the speaker(s) recessed behing the mic 10-20mm.

I am assuming nothing the most common image and install of Rhasspy is inside a docker container and for many that causes huge problems as it is beyond there expertise, skills as there is no escaping docker as docker is what they have irrespective if they know that or not or what that means.

It doesn’t speed up docker it just makes it easier for devs to supply and work with products such as home assistant.
Docker is just a isolated container system that runs at practically system speed its actually a tad slower even if so small its not noticeable.

Stop wasting your $ then and purchase a 2nd user amazon or google or otherwise you are going to do some diy of yourself as there is no official hardware or a specific shop to dictate what you get.